Osborn Engineering, Cleveland's oldest engineering firm, was founded on July 1, 1892 by Frank C. Osborn, formerly chief engineer for Cleveland's King Bridge Co. Osborn's diversified company offered a wide range of civil and structural engineering services, including the design, plans, estimates, and construction supervision for roofs, buildings, bridges, railways, and highways. These diverse services enabled Osborn to survive the economic depression of the 1890s and positioned the firm to take advantage of expanding infrastructure requirements in the 20th century.
Over 127 years have passed since Frank Osborn founded the company which still bears his name. Mr. Osborn believed that an engineering firm’s reputation was built on the character of its employees and by providing the latest advancements in engineering to its clients. As such, Osborn developed new methods for concrete testing. In 1902 he authored a forerunner of today’s American Institute of Steel Constructions Manual (The Osborn Tables). These and other innovations dramatically increased the efficiency of structural and civil engineering design and consequently made the landmark projects of the twentieth century possible.
In its first 4 decades, the firm built a national reputation as a stadium designer. By 1928, Osborn already had designed more than 75 sports facilities, including New York's Yankee Stadium, Boston's Fenway Park, Chicago's Comiskey Park, and sports facilities for numerous colleges and universities, including Purdue, Notre Dame, and the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Osborn, seeking to expand its service market in the 1950s, secured contracts from U.S. firms to design factories in South Africa, France, Saudi Arabia, and South America. The company grew from a structural consultant to a full-service architectural engineering firm as business remained strong throughout the 1960s. As the space race heated up, Osborn ventured into design and engineering for a new Power Systems Facility for the NASA Research Center at Lewis Field in the 1980s.
As pioneers in our profession, we follow in the footsteps of our founder. With the rapid changes in technology and materials, we are more committed today than ever to the spirit of innovation.