Historic Courthouse Addition and Renovation
Lorain County | Elyria , Ohio
Osborn Engineering provided engineering services for structural renovations of the 1878 Lorain County Historic Courthouse, which included a new 600 SF ADA compliant public entrance and lobby on the south side of the building. The entry addition encompassed new stairs and lift to access the existing first floor. The roof was comprised of large exposed steel tube trusses. The exterior consisted of glass curtain wall and EIFS.
An extension of the existing 3rd floor created 3,000 SF of office space above the original grand courtroom. The floor construction was lightweight cold formed joists supported by steel girders spanning approximately 57 feet and bearing on the existing masonry exterior walls.
Numerous openings throughout the building were created through the existing masonry walls. Steel lintels were implemented to support the wall above the openings.
Structural framing supported new, large openings through interior load bearing walls carrying the original clay-arch tile floor system.